I don't know the source of this file. If it belongs to someone, please let me know.
It reminded me of a post I did for my friend Julia's Blog back in February.
Julia Barrett's World
Assessing the Ick Factor in Romantic Erotica
What’s your ick factor limit when reading an erotic romance novel, paranormal, sci-fi, historical, or regular?
I started reading a book from Net Galley recently and the first page just skived me right out of interest as it referred to the main character thinking of his car as “snatch magnet.” Gak! My first point of ick factor is a disrespectful attitude towards either gender. It’s bad enough having to hear it in rap music, and in having lived through it, I don’t choose, generally to read it too.
Okay, how many different ways can one say vagina, penis, breasts, nipples, ejaculate, natural secretions, intercourse, oral sex or the feelings and sensations occurring while engaged in the intimate acts, while writing a love scene? And, how many can you come up with when writing multiple intimate acts in a book? Certainly, clinical description wouldn’t sell many books unless they were medical texts. But, if you read as much erotic romance as I do, you know it can become almost comic and less than erotic about the tenth time you read her wet channel pulsating around his thick rod.
I am not a writer, so I can’t say what I would do. It certainly must be difficult. But when I hit one of the more ridiculous interludes I know what I wouldn’t use. READ MORE
