I have yet to read Chris Bohjalian's new Book: THE NIGHT STRANGERS but at a reading in Portsmouth this past Thursday he told us about the research he did for the book which involves a plane crash that doesn't turn out as well as Miracle on The Hudson. He offered us three tips for the best chances of survival in plane crash. Many crashes could be survivable.
Image via Wikipedia
1. Keep your knees at a ninety degree angle: The compulsion is to put you feet under the seat but the crash will often break the seat which will then crush or break your ankles.
2. Rule of Five: Arrange seating within five rows of an exit door. I believe he said that the stats show that sitting within five seats of an exit means you will have the best opportunity of getting out.
3. Count head rests: Those little green lights will either be littered with bags, magazines and any thing else that wasn't held with a seatbelt, or even worse the floor may be above you. Instead count headrests as you go to the exit.
My husband flies a lot—enough so that we rarely fly in coach and that he is at the top of the free upgrades list. I don't even like to think about planes much less plane crashes. That may be why I am not eager to read that first part of the book. It is a normal worry given the scale of an aviation disaster. The truth is that he is in more danger driving to work every day. But, I will drum those 3 tips into his head.
Thanks Chris.
1. Keep your knees at a ninety degree angle: The compulsion is to put you feet under the seat but the crash will often break the seat which will then crush or break your ankles.
2. Rule of Five: Arrange seating within five rows of an exit door. I believe he said that the stats show that sitting within five seats of an exit means you will have the best opportunity of getting out.
3. Count head rests: Those little green lights will either be littered with bags, magazines and any thing else that wasn't held with a seatbelt, or even worse the floor may be above you. Instead count headrests as you go to the exit.My husband flies a lot—enough so that we rarely fly in coach and that he is at the top of the free upgrades list. I don't even like to think about planes much less plane crashes. That may be why I am not eager to read that first part of the book. It is a normal worry given the scale of an aviation disaster. The truth is that he is in more danger driving to work every day. But, I will drum those 3 tips into his head.
Thanks Chris.