Saturday, October 29, 2011

Up Close and Personal and Over Sharing


Time to admit to myself that those fifteen pounds I do not want, are back and that only I can do something about it. They are not like little beasts that sneak on my body without assistance. I am pretty careful about what I eat but obviously something somewhere is off and I am lying to myself.  See, that is what I believe about weight loss, you cannot lose weight until you are willing to be honest to yourself. There are some valid medical reasons why weight can be hard to budge but they are not the usual reason.

Could a second glass of wine everyday put fifteen pounds on over 6 years? I don't know. When I didn't drink for a couple of months last winter I didn't lose any weight.  It is also possible that now I absorb more food. Until 2004 I ate gluten and was pretty much sick all the time. Probably why, when I ate bagels all day I lost weight.

As a former Weight Watchers leader I still have  a lot of faith in the program but where before my class was right down the block now it is about 15 miles away.  So, I signed up on line. They offer gluten free options as well. I am looking forward to getting back some discipline.  I need to get my High BP down. When I went in for my Mohs surgery they nearly kicked me out because my BP was 181 over 106. Of course, I had a migraine, cramps, and was having skin cancer surgery so I was a bit tense and in pain which kicked it all up a notch. I am down to normal now.

I do like that most fruits and vegetables are no point foods now. My old meeting leader used to say that none of us get fat eating too many fruits and vegetables.  Unless of course they are covered in butter or cream sauce or laden with sugar.

And, I am so tired of hating my closet. I have beautiful clothes that I am avoiding because I am too heavy for them. Weirdly I have put most of the weight on in my waist and bust. But I must be doing something wrong, like sitting and blogging way too much.  I admit to being less active and perhaps this was a bad time to start since I will be on restricted activity until my stitches are out.

Speaking of less active I just saw the coolest thing- A desk for your treadmill! It is called Trek Desk (video: http://bcove.me/g7bc3qec)

So, the surgery went well. Apparently they got everything in one slice and then gave me ten stitches. And then told me not to do anything physical for 72 hours. And, no exercise for two weeks. Frown. It is right above the back of my knee so when ever I move it moves and if I do wa long waking up type of stretch it is not pleasant.   I got to take the initial dressing off today. I didn't want to look at it, so my husband did it. I am not squeamish but I am vain and the stitches-soon-to-be-a-scar just amount to one more physical imperfection I get to hate.

Did I tell you my allergist who diagnosed me as being devoid of all allergies said that my perpetual sinusitis is due to my immune system being over active and creating too many of a certain type of white blood cells in response to the cancer.  Since my sinuses have some structural abnormality that's where the cells went. I thought this made a little sense but was a convenient explanation for it.  A friend who is an oncologist almost spewed his martini through his nose when I told him that.  And my Ear, Nose and Throat doctor was a bit angry I think about that. He did think that the GERD I have had for five years or so could account for the presence of the extra white blood cells. Well, once I am healed we'll see. It would be awesome if it were true and my sinusitis went away. 


And, I got a nifty new Mac Book Pro for my birthday. A dear friend sent me a lovely handmade necklace as a surprise too. Yay!