Thursday, November 24, 2011

TRENDING #Book_Covers


THREE more days to enter the Gratitude Giveaway!


What trends are you seeing in book cover art? Any favorites anything that totally bugs you??

So, Day in and day out most book bloggers see  book covers of new books, old books, unreleased books, you get the idea.  
We always hear the admonition about books and covers but covers must be really important because when one comes out with a design that gets attention and the book sells we suddenly drown in covers with that theme.  I have been noticing that a lot lately, especially, but not limited to YA books.  First we had the ubiquitous prom gown; present even without a formal occasion. Finally! A use for those old bridesmaids dresses!

I'm told it is rare that an author has much input into the cover.   Today I am looking at gowns then those gowns merging with a water theme then becoming more Opheliaesque and then some have a physical reason for water: mermaids.  Here is a montage I constructed from Amazon or author websites.






Top to Bottom, Left to right:
Shift, Jeri Smith Ready ● Hallowed: An Unearthly Novel, Cynthia Hand
Carrier of The Mark, Leigh Fallon ● Paranormalcy, Kiersten White ● Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Michelle Hodkin ● Wake, Amanda Hocking ●
Poseidon, Anna Banks ● All These Lives, Sarah Wylie ● Haunting Violet, Alyxandra Harvey ● The Unquiet, Jeannine Garsee ● Lies Beneath, Anne Greenwood Brown

This is by no means exhaustive; there are so many more.  Other trends I am looking at: wings and angels, and cosmetics/features, hooded characters, girls or women with weapons.

Please, I would love to know what you think.