Thursday, December 29, 2011

Can You Believe It? Andy Griffith Not Nice?


Andy Griffith, Tony Award-nominated and Emmy A...
Image taken as President George W. Bush presents him the Presidential Medal of Freedom. 2005 Image via Wikipedia
This information guy totally blew my childhood away. I mean, seriously, if we can't believe the lead of The Andy Griffith show, Opie's Dad was not, in real life, a decent guy.  According to Arthur Axleman, Andy Griffith was anti-semitic and
 "The present North Carolina-based actor and star of the WMA packaged "Matlock" (1986-1995) has always made industry "evil lists" for enthusiastically serving as captain of mean spirit, hostility and vitriol. " (Arthur Axelman)
I learned of this in The Wrap TV, specifically, from Arthur Axleman's feature.  These are his beliefs. I am passing them on to you. I have done no other research on this.

Andy Griffith
Andy Griffith (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)
While as an adult learning this is not on a par as learning Santa Claus was not real, it is still a shock.  If the show had not been eponymously named it would be easier to accept; after all, it's his show and his character and he shared a first name. They must be the same person, right?

No it's not the end of the world, just the death of what was a nice memory. People for whom the experience of discrimination is a daily occurence may be used to having their views smashed. But this is a bummer.