| Image via Wikipedia |
How many gifts did you, or do you, need to return from people who don't really know you or who know you well? In other words how many gifts did you need to return? I only had one this year and it went down the road to the only store I know is open 24/7/365.
LLBean is a remarkable place. in 1984 when we moved here it was a large building and the wares were quite traditional. I bought woolen mittens that are still somewhere in my house. For years they were my only gloves. As my wardrobe expanded so did LL Bean. It is now at least three times the size of the old shop I knew and that's just the main store; there is also a bike and kayak and ski shop and a home store. The outlets down the hill are not open as much.
Twelve years ago I worked on the telephones for the holidays. It was the best place I ever worked. Employees, at least temps, were treated respectfully at all times. Ergonomic specialists were available to see that your chair and keyboard were in the right spot for you. We had the best training ever. Prices are fair and haven't changed much. Style at LLBean's is always an issue. It's a Maine thing that usually results in my husband and eye raising at least one eyebrow in any visit. Today it was a mass of kelly green long coats. But while I couldn't pull off the orange plaid wide leg wool pants in the new Signature line, someone else could. And to be fair, there are great things as well. Their men's oxford shirts are fantastic.
In any event what is remarkable about the flagship store, aside from the amazing guarantee and employees who actually want to help you and know the merchandise, is how the 24/7/365 is backed up. If you ever visit check the doors. There are no locks. If they had to lock up for some reason, it would require chains.
Freeport is not so much a town now as it is a huge outdoor mall with free parking throughout. There are outlets and boutiques, hotels and restaurants. A bit past the shopping areas there are still neighborhoods, but most of the houses that existed between Route 1 and the highway are gone. There have been many changes since 1984. But the guarantee and great service have not.
It wasn't too busy today when I returned the sweater (lovely color and material, not my style). It wasn't too busy, but it was there and it was open.
It wasn't too busy today when I returned the sweater (lovely color and material, not my style). It wasn't too busy, but it was there and it was open.