The founder of IMDB.com listed his top ten films for the year. What is sad is that although I have been to more movies in a theater than ever, I only scored one of his picks. http://www.imdb.com/oscars/year-in-review/col-needhams-best-of-2011#10
His film picks are
- The Descendants,
- Shame,
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2,
- The Artist,
- Melancholia,
- The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo,
- Crazy, Stupid, Love
- Super 8,
- Like Crazy,
- The Ides of March
| Col Needham, Image by EIFF via Flickr |
The only one I have seen is Harry Potter and the DH2.
Col Needham, who is the man who started this company, seriously, from his home office as a hobby in 1990 still runs it from his suburban British home in Stoke Gifford, Bristol. He and his wife have a standing Tuesday Lunch date at the cinema.
According to the Telegraph in a December 1990 article
His film obsession peaked in the mid 1990s when he was watching more than 1,000 films a year. He would record the credits at the end of a film and then note down every detail.
A chance email encounter in 1989 with a film fan in California prompted him to publish his own personal database online. www.telegraph.co.uk
So instead of some lofty critic telling us his faves, I am going to trust Col. I have been using IMDB since 1996 when I first logged on to the internet after buying a computer that could handle the new technology. Back then it was all dial up where I lived. I am not certain we didn't move, in part, to get Road Runner service.
Why haven't I seen these films. The reason is that while I tend to love good movies of most ilks, going to a drama or watching at home is sort of like a long road trip—not bad once you're on the road, but something I have to psych up to do. Plus, we have a lovely home theater with better sound than a theater so, the tendency is to wait for the DVD.
Another factor is this new limited release trend. We don't get those limited release films up here in the Arctic, you know, Maine.