Monday, January 9, 2012

Margaret Cho's Beautiful Tour DVD

In BEAUTIFUL Margaret Cho says she is married, and identifies herself as queer, Korean-American. She says the secret to a long marriage is to have sex with a lot of people.  She is beautiful. She is also filthy, open about sex and sexuality.  It's novel and not for everyone.  You may wish to watch this only with your lover or lovers. Otherwise you may find yourself blushing. It's probably not something that you would watch with your boss or in laws.  

While I enjoy her frankness I did not think this was as funny.  While I realize that at the time the situation may have made her sex life salient it isn't as funny as it was in previous tours.  It felt like something she uses for shock value but it wasn't making me laugh.

This show was filmed in 2008.  Apparently having come out as pansexual, has been good for her health. She looks healthier and more beautiful then I have ever seen her. This show started off with a discussion of the 2008 Presidential election and the No on Prop. 8 election in California. We learned of her dislike of the Republican candidates. But her treatment of McCain, who I do not support was rude and more disrespectful than I thought funny.  She dissed his military service, saying he was not that good a soldier as he had been captured.  Anyone can be captured; especially people holding a front line or point of defense.  I am not a fan at all of the candidate but that went too far for me, nor am I a right winger. I am not saying she shouldn't say it. I am just saying it wasn't funny. 

I do support her message that everyone is beautiful.  It is a brave and bold statement and it is brave and bold to put your sexuality out on the stage like that .  I guess I am not laughing at it that much these days.