Saturday, February 4, 2012

Football and Whole Foods


Yesterday I went grocery shopping after Pilates; a normal thing. Or so I thought. 
Is it Thanksgiving? Christmas? 
No, it's Superbowl weekend in New England and the Pats are playing. 
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - FEBRUARY 03:  Official sign...
Image by Getty Images via @daylife
It must also have been a holiday for many people who were at Whole Foods. Not so many in produce , many in the meats, deli, cheese and bread areas. The only two vegetable/fruits selling well, I believe, were celery for the hot wings and avocados. 

Indeed, the Whole Foods staff tells me that the store here in Portland is the top performing Whole Foods in the country. 
That's amazing if you consider the poverty level in Maine ranks in the highest five or so in the nation, especially for kids, and that we have among the highest rates of obesity and cigarette smoking. 
Whole foods
Whole foods (Photo credit: parislemon)

Go figure.  I had an other Superbowl story, but I can't tell it. Damn.

Do I care about the Superbowl, football or sports? I will watch baseball, will watch the the semis and Superbowl if the Pats are playing. But, if we have company, I find it boring. I end up talking and that ticks other people off. I will probably make some chili and read as my husband watches. But, yeah, I care if the Pats win. It means a lot to the region. As we are a poor state, a sports win can help people feel better. Go Pats, but as you watch please eat and drink responsibly.

What about you and football, the Superbowl, etc.?  

AND, Chris Bohjalian's book, SECRETS OF EDEN will be on Lifetime tonight.  I believe it is at 8 PM EST.  John Stamos stars.