Friday, February 24, 2012

Wanting to Paint Again, What am I to do?


Marlene screen cap from movie Shangai Express
Public Domain Image via Wikipedia
English: Cupcake; a painting by Wayne Thiebaud
Cupcake by Wayne Thiebaud Image via Wikipedia





















It's like that old Marlene Dietrich song: Falling in love again what am I to do? Nothing left me to, can't help it. I miss having painting in my life and that makes me want to paint again.  I know I am not John Singer Sargent or Wayne Thiebaud who are both big favorites of mine.  Yes, I know I am not them but here I am needing that, feeling guilty that I have a studio I don't use.

I have [at least] three problems:
  1. Without a lot of practice I will suck at.  I used to work every day, four to six hours at a time. It is not entirely back to square one but I will have to learn to see like a painter again.
  2. I have run out of images I want to paint; everything seems trite, a field, a tree, a house, people a bowl of fruit.  Does the world need more painted bowls of fruit?
  3. Blogging is time consuming.  With a book blog double the time I spend because unless I am posting on a Did Not Finish I actually read the book.  Yeah I have to occasional guest post and movie or themed piece but I do this for 8 to 12 or even more hours a day.
by me, my painting teacher liked it.
While I originally thought I could do blogging as a profitable endeavor I seem to be missing that boat. Sad to say, I made more money painting but probably spent more. I paint in oil and pastels and they are costly. But I never sold paintings for much more than $200. And rarely sold more than two a year.

Any ideas?  I guess I could blog about painting. Are you at all interested in seeing my paintings?