Monday, February 27, 2012

What Makes A Great Movie?

What About Bob?
What About Bob? (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)


I am watching a filmed segment with actors and directors who were asked what makes a great film.  Most referred the question onto someone else, for example Robert Downey Junior referred the question onto Werner Herzog, who said it was difficult.  Brad Pitt had a good answer about seeing someone do something better than you would have and Reese Witherspoon prattled on about why her favorite movie was Overboard with Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn.  Seriously? 


The Fugitive
The Fugitive (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)
What do you think makes a movie great or a great movie?  I think it's easier to say what I don't think makes a great movie, but even that is what I like or do not like in a movie, not necessarily what makes it great.  I don't like humiliation (think WHAT ABOUT BOB? Richard Dreyfus and Bill Murray)  or hopeless feelings  So, THE FUGITIVE with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones was totally unwatchable.  I don't like movies leading up to an historic death or catastrophe like KENNEDY or TITANTIC.  I am unable to watch anything about the Holocaust or the Salem Witch Trials without becoming hysterical (not the laughing hysteria). But, LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL and SOPHIE'S CHOICE are both recognized as wonderful films.  And yet, there are films like PHILIADELPHIA which were made so well I could watch it.  I also don't like films like SIDEWAYS where the whole thing is rambling and disjointed and where it is possible the entire film is ad libbed.

And, many films I love are flat out not seen as good much less great (cough TWILIGHT, which I have probably seen 20 times).

What about you — what makes a movie "IT" for you?  I am thinking of adjectives like great, memorable, or awful, even I love or hate it when_____. I want to know and I bet a few folks want to tell me.  C'mon, you know you want to.