| By Scott Sandars (Flickr: Boobs!) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons |
Do they still tell girls, "Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses," like they did when I was growing up? I know it prompted me into contact lenses which my mom pushed so I would be prettier. What's the stupidest sexist idiocy you heard growing up. Other than the above, it was
We must, we must, we must increase our bust,
We must, we must, we must increase our bust,
The bigger the better, the tighter the sweater,
The boys depend on us.
This was chanted at camp, sleepovers and in the locker room accompanied by repetitive sliding of forearms against each other. It is attributed to Judy Bloom's ARE YOU THERE GOD IT'S ME MARGARET. I wasn't allowed to read that because it had a hint of sexuality. The exercise was suppose to make our breasts larger. We were also told that if we let boys play with our breasts we would get breast cancer. On the other hand, I was forced to stay outside and take the sun because I g=had skin problems. THAT didn't cause cancer or anything!
I was thinking of this because today I went out and had an old pair of sun glasses converted to regular lenses and bought a pair of sun glasses. Both are for driving. And, I guess sightseeing. Still not happy, but my cornea being off kilter made contacts possible but improbable. If it hadn't taken three painful surgeries to "fix" my eyes I may not be so ticked off.
Well at least I'll be able to see things in France more clearly.