| Olive Oil (Photo credit: ReneS) |
This afternoon, while making dinner I dropped and broke an entire bottle of olive oil on my kitchen counter. I realized why it is great not to have anything on the counter top as I went through a bunch of towels to clean it up. I was relieved that it didn't break into the dinner I was making.
It made me think about how the littlest thing can be an interruption of our day or even our lives. And, also how our lives change over time. When we were first married that would have represented a big chunk of our food budget and I would have been really upset. Today I was more ticked that I had to clean broken glass and oil off the counter.
But, even a tiny piece of gravel in a shoe can really change our path, throw us off course.
My friend's son was skateboarding and fell, hit his head and, well, he finally woke up and is doing really well. But, I know it wasn't what he planned to be doing with the Spring semester, nor what his parents planned either. Now they are all living 100 miles from home at a hospital in Boston and have been for a month. They are lucky they all have each other and so much support to deal with this tough recalibration. Who knows why he fell this one time and hit his head. But it happened and his path is now different; as it is for millions everyday, to some degree or another. Some changes make a harder path. Some make it smoother and some just make it different. Sometimes it is chance and sometimes it is choice. But the one thing we know is that where we think we are going is often not where we end up.
My friend's son was skateboarding and fell, hit his head and, well, he finally woke up and is doing really well. But, I know it wasn't what he planned to be doing with the Spring semester, nor what his parents planned either. Now they are all living 100 miles from home at a hospital in Boston and have been for a month. They are lucky they all have each other and so much support to deal with this tough recalibration. Who knows why he fell this one time and hit his head. But it happened and his path is now different; as it is for millions everyday, to some degree or another. Some changes make a harder path. Some make it smoother and some just make it different. Sometimes it is chance and sometimes it is choice. But the one thing we know is that where we think we are going is often not where we end up.
By the way, my friend's son is doing really well. I'm grateful that he is on the mend.