Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mode of Travel


Tomorrow, which as I write is yesterday, I will still be flying.  Remember when flying was fun and not just a pain in the a$$? Ugh! Now, I don't want to brag, because we didn't "buy" the seats but I am in first class.  The first time I was in first class was years ago, and they had champagne and caviar (they still do on Lufthansa). Now, I will be fortunate if they have a gluten free meal. 

Back in the day:
Society was more gracious and so was flying:


Mom and child having air lines meal.
Image number: 2005-3678
Credit: National Air and Space Museum Archives




Of course there was a place to take your child when they needed "wiggle room."



PSA Interior postcard
The Lockheed Electra II featured a lounge in the rear of the cabin, as shown in this Pacific Southwest Airlines postcard.
Image number: NASM-00132840
Credit: National Air and Space Museum Archives


⇐left
Martin 130 China Clipper Sleeper
Image number: 75-4461

Credit: National Air and Space Museum Archives

So, the last time I was on British Air they actually gave you  pajamas. but, do you think this was an attempt at making it seem like you were on the train?
                                      right⇒
Pan Am Jet Clipper Brochure
Image number: NASM-9A00794
Credit: National Air and Space Museum Archives
I think this is from the 1960s





And then it just started to look bizarre; this flight attendant looks a little puzzled and a little pissed off!


Pucci Bubble Helmet
Braniff introduced brightly colored aircraft as well as imaginative new uniforms created by famed fashion designer Emilio Pucci. The plastic bubble helmet, to protect hairdos on windy tarmacs, was an integral part of the Pucci-designed uniforms.
Credit: Braniff Collection, The University of Texas at Dallas




Copy accompanying pictures and pictures credited to The Smithsonian Institution "AMERICA BY AIR"
My Comments are in bright blue.



I don't recall ever flying in the atmosphere of graciousness shown here. My first flight would have been in 1974. And I imagine it started off with a flight on Allegheny Airlines out of ALB or Albany, New York's airport and then we got on SPANTAX which was Spain's second largest airline.  It was not fun, that's for sure.  We were served pigeon.

What and when was your first flight? Were you excited?