| Cover of Finian's Rainbow AMAZON |
Yesterday a Twitter friend reminded me of Finian's Rainbow which I saw with my parents when I was eight at the theater on Madison Avenue in Albany, New York. I can't recall the occasion, but mom liked Petula Clark and Fred Astaire was an icon for their generation (for all generations, really). We never went to see Disney films.
And, musical tastes change. The film directed by Francis Ford Coppola was not well reviewed. My eight-year old self enjoyed it; it was romantic and anti-racist. I thought clark was pretty and had a wistful expression. Okay I was eight I probably had no thoughts about her wistful expression, but it was wistful.
I think I only recall the theme song, "How are things in Glocamorra?" Under the Album Cover is the the best recording of the song, Julie Andrews and Sammy Davis Junior on the "Julie Andrews Hour." Below that you'll find her singing "Look to the Rainbow," a little later in her career. Enjoy.
| "I don't know who Rand is, but I'd never trust a McNally," observes Sharon McLonergan (Petula Clark) as her father Finian (Fred Astaire), in search of Missitucky, consults a map (Photo credit: Wikipedia) |
| CD cover (Photo credit: Wikipedia) |
http://youtu.be/VJBIIXzncRM Not owned by me, shared via YouTube
And Here's Petula singing "Look to the Rainbow"
http://youtu.be/fTQDOmt33dg Not owned by me, shared via YouTube