Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Weird Dinner or Lunch: TUNA "Pizza"

When my husband is away I make dinners that are a bit more like a lunch. One of my favorites is my creation Tuna Pizza. If you want an Italian name you could call it Pizza Tonato. It's a little like a tuna melt but with fewer calories.

I always buy packaged coleslaw because it is uber versatile.  I add it to soup, stews, and have some almost every day. 


Tuna Pizza 2 servings
Prep and cook: 10 to 15 minutes


2/3 cup shredded cheese, I like Kraft Fat Free Shredded Cheese. I I weren't on a perpetual diet I might use something else.

1/4 Fat Free Mayo or 1/3 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt

2 Cups Coleslaw mix (cabbage, carrots)

1 two serving pouch of albacore tuna.

1 stalk of celery in a fine dice

a few cornichons or bread and butter pickles depending on whether you like sweet or sour.

a few capers

Whatever you like. You might add olives, peas, whatever floats your boat!

2 10 inch Tortillas. I use Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas

  • Heat the broiler and put rack at second level down.
  •  Mix everything but the tortilla together. I use a small mezzaluna or a chopper to get the mixture to a cohesive state.
  • Place tortilla in an oven proof non-stick skillet.  If you have two you can do both at once
    spread half the mixture on it and cook on medium until the tortilla starts to brown and the cheese begins melting.
  • Remove from stove and place in the oven under the broiler. The shredded top side of the cheese should be melting.  Take care with the edges of the tortilla which will brown quickly. The trick to the pan on the stove or under the broiler is to end up with something heated through on a tortilla that isn't burnt.
  • Cut each tortilla into four pieces. 

Voila, dinner!


Enhanced by Zemanta