| Green Cabbage - The Delicious Daily 11.09.2009 (Photo credit: TheDeliciousLife) |
A few years ago I saw an article about different uses for a bag of coleslaw. I was, at that time trying to figure out why my slaw was not slawish enough. I finally figured out it was that I made it too fresh and it needed time for the dressing to "cook" it a bit. But still there are only two of us and the cats don't eat cabbage so I took note of things to do and I started to use it whereever I felt I could use its cabbagey goodness. I like some volume in my food so the cabbage gives me that and I like the taste.
I add it to soup. Some onions, celery a carrot or two, diced tomatos and broth = cabbage soup!
I also add it to most soup.
Instant stirfry!
Instant sauerkraut. Sautee with some oil or cooking spray, and salt over low to "sweat" the cabbage. Add some vinegar and or bread and butter pickle juice. cook until soft.
Add to anything savory I need to stretch. It adds fiber and is pretty innocuous if not overcooked.
I toss it with shredded cheese in a quesadilla.
Add to salads.
Add to tuna salad.
Add peanuts, use rice vinegar, mirin or honey, a thinly sliced hot pepper, some basil and you get Thai slaw
Use with goolash.
I don't do this but stuffed into pirogi with some potato? it would cut the amount of potato and add fiber.
Any other ideas?