Thursday, July 19, 2012

Do You Like Audiobooks?
An Imaginary Friend Understands an Autistic Child

matthewdicks.com

MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND
by Matthew Dicks
Macmillan/St. Martin's Press Advance Listening Copy
Received Anonymously at BEA
No remuneration received and all opinions, except as noted, are my own.

An incomprehensible nine compact discs make up this audio book read by Matthew Brown in a voice similar to that you would use to read to a child.  A creative concept discussing the perceptions of a childhood friend and his autistic imaginer.

Looking at the cover, I had a hard time determining if it was a book for adults.   And it is written in a child's voice which complicates matters. 

scan of the audio book I am listening to.
It seems to me that Matthew Dicks, who is an elementary school teacher and the author of SOMETHING MISSING and UNEXPECTEDLY MILO has an uncanny ability to channel a child's voice. 

Now, I have a short attention span and instead of being aurally oriented I am very visual.  So, for me an audio book has to be simple enough that I can do other things while I listen and engaging enough that I will listen.   Listening to it right now there is enough of interest that I am mostly following it, but, I am also antsy.  I read faster than someone speaks so, I am always thinking, okay hurry up. 

It wouldn't really matter what I was listening to. I would prefer to read it. I am too easy to distract, except from a book. 

Some people love audiobooks, so it is merely my idiosyncrasy.  And, I think this is a great book so far, but I doubt I will get much past now.   What I think is particularly fabulous is that MEMOIRS OF AN IMAGINARY FRIEND is another resource to understand autism. It is fictional, but he makes some points about how a child thinks, and if I am not going to read non-fiction about the autism spectrum, at least I will pick something up here. 

So, do you listen to audiobooks? Why or why not? Do you think a fictional account can help us understand real life situations?






Enhanced by Zemanta