Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Island Girl?

Vintage postcard depicting Gem Theater, boardw...
Vintage postcard depicting Gem Theater, boardwalk, and the Peaks Island House hotel on Peaks Island, Maine (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I am possibly heading over to PEAKS ISLAND today to visit with some friends from my old book club -- the one I belonged to before I began reading "professionally." 

The islands in Casco Bay are called "The Calendar Islands" At Wikipedia they say:
It was first reported in 1700 by Colonel Wolfgang William Römer, an English military engineer, that there were "as many islands as there are days in the year." The United States Coastal Pilot lists 136 islands., leading to the bay's islands being called that Calendar Islands based on the popular myth there are 365 of them. Later, Robert M. York, the former Maine state historian said there are "little more than two hundred islands." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casco_Bay
Casco Bay
Casco Bay (Photo credit: madmiked)
When I worked for the CITY OF PORTLAND, it was my job to go out on the Portland Fireboat and deliver the ballots to the island which, at the time, were part of the city.  This was great in the summer when it was "Wicked Hot" as once you pull pas a certain point it's as if the AC comes on.  In November, not so great for the same reason. But then, anything was preferable to being in the office about which, almost 25 years later, I still have nightmares.

There's a fly in the ointment today though because I was stung on my legs several times Sunday and the areas are itchy and painful to walk on. My friends house is a good mile from the ferry.  So I don't know if I am going to make the trek.

English: The Ferry Vessel Maquoit II birthed i...
The Ferry Vessel Maquoit II birthed in slip four of Casco Bay Lines terminal on the Maine State Pier, Portland Maine. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Enhanced by Zemanta