Monday, August 20, 2012

Back to the Drawing Board, Literally

Finally, after several days, I was able to get back to my painting. It's been so long since I worked in my studio that I have forgotten too much. I always have a tendency to work too long and not LOOK at what I am painting. Stepping back and looking at the picture below I can see that areas I thought awful are better than the ones' I liked. 

I paint in much the same way amateurs write books. I know the steps and the forms I have a tough time making it art. 

I don't say that  as self deprecation; I know my limits.  I am not going to be a famous painter. I've sold fewer than ten paintings.  Of course, that's ten more than Van Gogh sold, right?  Yeah, right.

I know what my issues are.  I like the process of painting but composition is a huge issue. Being fussy and awkward is too.  Those are things I can't do away with.  If I just went to process I would have to loosen up and, I think, have some type of artistic vision. I don't.

 


Enhanced by Zemanta