Saturday, September 10, 2011

I am a Member of the Junior League
Becoming A Catalyst for Change

I am a member of the Junior League of Portland, Maine Inc.  (JLP).  As such I have learned how to be an effective volunteer, how to make a project happen.  I have made lifelong friends and connections.

This post does not reflect anything but my own opinion and enthusiasm for the Junior League and my membership. The Junior League has not requested or condoned this post. I am undertaking to tell you about it entirely on my own.

Contrary to recent images of our imagined history the Junior League is now an amazingly diverse and international organization.  Around the world we choose tough issues: domestic violence, hungers and food insecurity and we work with the community to effectively address those issues.

I bring this up to you all because the Junior Leagues generally have a period of time where we basically learn about being a member of a JL. It's different in each league but often begins in September. If you want to meet other women concerned about your community, learn where to volunteer, make connections, make friends and have fun consider the Junior League. To find a JL near you: www.AJLI.org


Our Mission Statement

The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc. (AJLI) is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
www.ajli.org

TO find a JL near you check out the Association of Junior Leagues International.

And, here are some new videos.

Annual Conference Videos:

Another Conference Video:


The History of the Junior League 11:34