I am always amazed when someone commits a serious act of plagiarism. Using cliche, or figures of speech from others is normal, although unoriginal. But using lines from others or several others is just amazingly stupid.
![]() |
| Amazon.com w/ red editorial by me |
As someone reading the news second hand, (I was unable to locate a press release in the press release sections of Little Brown's, Mulholland's or Hachette's websites) my first question is how did this get by the editors only to be picked up immediately by readers? I have recently read an interview with an editor on Smart Bitches Trashy Books where the editor said something to the effect that a known writer might get away with out being heavily editted. But this was a debut "novel" and should have been very closely looked at. And, it is sad to think that it made it through the editorial gauntlet to be caught by readers. Those readers should feel they are more well read than the editors.
I marvel at the writer's blatant disregard for the work of others. Especially a book store owner! Also, if you are going to plagiarize, why pick someone obvious like Ian Flemming. It is a bit like robbing a bank armed only with a piece of paper that says, "I am unarmed. Please, give me all the money."
Several papers including the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times have covered this story.
I am merely asking Why? and How?

