Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Visit Wales and the Dr. Who Franchise Tours

Modern Narrow BoatsImage via WikipediaI have always wanted to go to Wales. Okay, I have wanted to go to Wales since the early 1990s after reading my first Sharon Kay Penman book. Then some friends did a narrow boat canal tour and loved it.  Recently my husband traveled there on business. He was only on the ground two days and in meetings for all of that or I would have gone.
And, I do love the accent. I would have a hard time determining how it is different from an English accent but it is—sweeter, more trilling.  Anyway, now I read on FlavorPill that there is a four-hour tour of the locales in Cardiff known from Dr. Who and the other shows in the franchise.

The tours are run by Brit Movie Tours.  They're listed on the official Visit Cardiff website and they conduct other entertainment venue tours throughout England as well, so they seem to be on the up and up. Here is their blurb, in part.
Prepare yourself for an intergalactic adventure as we take you on a tour of Doctor Who Cardiff Locations where much of the show has been filmed since its return in 2005. The Eleventh Doctor and Amy PondImage via WikipediaStarting with a short walking tour around the city centre you will then go on a bus journey around Cardiff to see where the rift cracked open, Amy Pond’s village, Rose Tyler’s workplace, sites from Doctor Who spin offs – The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood, plus many other interesting Doctor Who locations and landmarks along the way. With the locations scattered around the Welsh capital the tour is the best way to see the Doctor Who Cardiff locations. http://britmovietours.com/bookings/doctor-who-tour-of-locations/
In London and other parts of England, the company offer additional Dr. Who tours as well as James Bond and Harry Potter tours.

I know when I am traveling with my husband and he is on business all day, I can go to shops and museums, but I welcome the company and safety of the other people in a tour. I know there will be someone to chat with and I won't wander into dodgy areas.