Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Worst Domain Names Ever

Or, Bad Marketing Decisions 101



I take no credit here.
I was looking at getting a friend with a WordPress blog a book about WordPress and came across Tris Hussey's Using WordPress (QUE; 1 edition (September 7, 2010)). 

The book starts off with basics, and I was checking it out on Amazon in the "Look Inside this book" feature.  She talks about choosing a Domain name. And, brings in this bit of mirth which I have expanded on.

The Top Ten Worst Domain Names Found by Independent Sources:

http://www.whorepresents.com/  goes to Who Represents?com tells you who represents an actor or other talent.

http://www.expertsexchange.com/  Experts Exchange. 

http://www.penisland.net/   is Pen Island a great place to get cutom-made pens on the internet

http://therapistfinder.com  re-directs to http://www.counselingcalifornia.com/   Learning from mistakes is important.
A friend has been using the word psychotherapist to tell a joke for umpteen years. Actually, he has stopped. 

http://www.powerdgenitalia.com  apparently belonged to Italian Power Generator.  Translations can be troublesome.  Often English titles for books, or films create similar linguistic gaffs. Even American to British can be an issue.

http://www.molestationnursery.com/  This i s no longer the domain of Mole Station Native Nursery but is more like what the name appears to suggest.

http://www.speedofart.com/  I am still uncertain what this is. It is the website of one "Nigel Talamo." Here is what they say:
"Speedofart is proud to be amongst the 'official' top 9 worst named websites on the planet. Some say the naming was un-intentional but we knew what we were doing all along."
http://www.gotahoe.com/ is now re-directing to http://www.gotahoenorth.com/ and is a tourism promo site for Lake Tahoe.

Horrible marketing and naming decisions occur everyday.  A few years ago I sold a certain type of  American-Made basket from a company owned by one family.  One daughter headed the company. Let's call her  Sue."

At one point they decided to introduce a new color and chose the regrettable name "warm brown stain." My husband was particularly amused when the company president sent us a DVD called "A Warm Brown Message from Sue."  My husband laughed every time he saw it, sometimes chuckling about what the cats left him everyday.  He asked, "Doesn't she have marketing people?"  Well, I am sure she did, but either she didn't listen or was feared.

So, mistakes like this aren't rare.  But the internet give legs to mistakes like these.  And, the internet is forever.