Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Iron Lady: Meryl Streep as Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher



LONDON, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 14:  (UK TABLOID  R...
Image by Getty Images via @daylife
   Meryl Streep
   Harvard Commencement 2010
      by Chensiyuan
You know, I have been so wrapped up in Breaking Dawn,  Giveaways, skin cancer surgery (which was much more complex that I imagined) and other issues, that this film The Iron Lady slipped under the radar.

The AMAZING Meryl Streep is scaring me a little with some of the roles she has chosen lately like Mamma Mia. But, I guess she should have some fun after a lifetime of brilliant dramatic work. What's freaky right now is the bio-pic thing. I will forever see Julia Child as Meryl Streep now because of the excellent work she did in that role. And, I have a feelig we're in for the same type of experience as Streep plays former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in the upcoming film, The Iron Lady. The film opens in the UK January 6, and is slated for theatrical release on December 16. It's already in previews and it is big news,  November 15, in the British Paper, The Daily Telegraph,  wrote
Two preconceptions about "The Iron Lady," the long anticipated film about Margaret Thatcher’s life, are laid to rest on seeing it. The first was that it would be a hatchet job on our former Prime Minister. Not so: the film is relatively even-handed, and for long stretches sympathetic to its subject.   The second was that it was a travesty for American actress Meryl Streep to be playing such a very English character. Well, those doubts have been assuaged too; Streep is splendid, giving a detailed, authoritative performance that goes way beyond accurate impersonation to evoke Thatcher’s demeanour and spirit. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/8890614/The-Iron-Lady-review.html
Margaret Thatcher Fndtn.
As much as  Margaret Thatcher (left) was maligned or lauded in the media, whether her decisions were good, or bad, she was a world leader, and role model for women across the globe.  She proved that omen could be great political leaders in a way no other woman had done before. Yes there were other women who have lead governments and countries but she did it brilliantly and for a long time.

Did I like her?  It doesn't matter. I didn't know her; I saw her public persona.  We know so little about a person like Thatcher or any politician unless we personally know them. I might have intuition but knowing them enough to personally dislike her, not my thing.

What I think about her is that she had the ability to read the British public very well and gave them what she believed they needed, sometimes only in image.  Maybe her government was hated, but history tends to lend perspective.  World leaders choose a tough road and I think they expect potholes.

My thing is whether this movie will be good or bad based on the work the actors, director, producers and crew did. That is my personal subjectivity and from the trailer I think I can say this is going to be good. But, I have a feeling my idea of Mrs. Thatcher will be morphing into Meryl Streep.  If she keeps this up,  women in the public eye are all going to start to look like Ms. Streep, in my mind at least. The film also features Jim Broadbent as Denis Thatcher, and Richard E. Grant as Michael Heseltine. Here is a trailer(UK) to whet your appetite:







I love the poster and screen-lifted this from IMDB.com so you could see it as well. There is something remarkably vital about it. 

http://www.imdb.com/