| Image by David Michael Morris via Flickr |
It's quite possible that I am slow on the uptake. I had no idea about the video made by Jonah Mowry before it was shared yesterday by a friend. This is one great, brave kid. If you haven't seen this I have to tell you it is so powerful that it tore the heart right out of me. I am posting some of the wonderful responses here too. There are other people who are tearing this kid down; saying he is fake. The tears, those tears are not fake. If they were fake this kid should get an Oscar. But they aren't. His mom has also verified his veracity.
And you know what? Even if the video was fake it wouldn't matter because this is happening all the time. Girls, boys, young men, young women face a dark place and don't know where to take it. There is an update, by Jonah, on this page http://youtu.be/TdkNn3Ei-Lg. It is positive so I am hoping it is the real Jonah. There are at least two responses to Jonah from people so kindhearted they will also make you cry.
What matters here is these kids. Untold numbers of kids who don't feel they are worthwhile enough to exist. As a society, we are contradictory and capricious. I see messages for self-acceptance alongside a message that we are not enough of something. A piece about childhood obesity followed by an ad for junk food. We tell kids bullying and violence is wrong and then make films glorifying it.
You know, this world is a small place. We share it. One of the paradoxes of humanity is that we are all different and unique, and yet, we are all the same. We all feel hurt, we want love, we're kind and sometimes cruel. Life is short and kindness goes a long way. Bullying does too. Let's just make bullying go away, make it unacceptable behavior. Parent your children with this value. Bullies are small people with big mouths and a ready fist. We are better than that. I hope we are.
Two people who responded lovingly to Jonah out of dozens. Good, compassionate people.
http://youtu.be/X6tD8n2Jbvk KaraOlina96
http://youtu.be/0s7vrxXHcSg Acoustic Jonathan
Look, bullying is not a new phenomenon. But, it's longstanding presence is not insurmountable. Slavery was also a longstanding practice, a CONDONED and institutionalized one. But, we evolved past it. Let's Evolve again.
Resources:
Bully Police http://www.bullypolice.org/ the laws in your state and how to report it.
For LBGT Youth
Trevor Lifeline: 866 488 7386 and website: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
IT GETS BETTER: http://www.itgetsbetter.org/
For ALL Teens The Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide: http://www.sptsusa.org/