Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Saudi Woman Beheaded for Sorcery

Coat of Arms of Saudi Arabia
Image via Wikipedia
This is so not what I wanted to write about, but it is something I can't turn away from.
This is why freedom of religion and other civil rights are important.  Oh, and that silly equality under the law for all genders, yeah that whole struggle is totally finished.  I don't know if it is worse that she was a woman or that she was killed for belief. There's a difference between maintaining and  respect for beliefs and culture and, common civil rights. You can't fake faith. This is an extreme example of repression and bad government:
Killing someone because they believe they can help people with magic.
I wish I could type a sound of disgust.

Read about it:  
Riyadh:  A Saudi woman was beheaded on Monday after being convicted of practising sorcery, which is banned in the ultra-conservative kingdom, the interior ministry said.

Amina bin Abdulhalim Nassar was executed in the northern province of Jawf for "practising witchcraft and sorcery," the ministry said in a statement carried by SPA state news agency.