Sunday, February 12, 2012

Learning to Love Yourself
A Lamentation of Addiction

The Preacher's Wife
The Preacher's Wife (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)

I am not vain enough that I believe I have anything original to say on Whitney Houston's death. I did love her music though and have my memories.  I have her first CD and that's something since I am not hugely musical. Years ago she was in Maine filming the Preacher's Wife (1996) with Denzell Washington and director Penny Marshall and it was one of those winters when it never got cold enough for the pond in Portland's Deering Oaks Park to freeze. They had to film the big skating theme in ankle deep slush.

Whitney_Houston_singing_in_the_movie_The_Preac...
Whitney_Houston_singing_in
_the_movie_The_Preacher's_Wife (Photo credit: hornsby94)
The Bishop's Wife
The Bishop's Wife (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)











I don't recall how long they were here but I never heard anything bad about the movie crew or cast, or we didn't hear it.  No big scandals broke out.  The film, based on The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven 1947) was lackluster and possibly one of the lower points in her career before  her downward spiral into addiction.

Hardly matters now though.  Ms. Houston leaves behind a child who would be better off not hearing the jeers and jibes renered online and on TV. Addiction is a disease process and addicts don't deserve what they get no more than a diabetic does. People with all kinds of illness ignore their doctors' advice.  Remember that we all screw up sometimes and make mistakes in judgment that can hurt us. We've never had to walk in her shoes.

Her talent was awesome, her addiction sad and our loss of her talent is nothing short of tragic. 

Whitney Houston
Whitney Houston (Image via RottenTomatoes.com)
I titled this as I did because many addicts seem not to love themselves or their lives and a temporary buzz can assist in the escape. Whatever the process of the disease is, some people escape it and others don't seem to.  You could look at it the way some people who have heart problems fail to achieve the weight loss their doctors prescribe.  No one would say that person deserved to suffer because they didn't lose weight.  We can't know if that was the case here, or how Ms. Houston felt or thought,  but I wish she had had the ability to loved herself a little more and been able to escape the chains of addiction.