Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Big Steaming Cup of ...?

A photo of a cup of coffee. Esperanto: Taso de...
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
When I got my first apartment and lived with a deadbeat boyfriend who refused to help with rent on the grounds that I had to pay rent anyway, I got a job selling coffee and making espresso at one of the first local espresso bars.  This was back when the Starbucks empire was just a single store or a few maybe, in Washington state, so espresso was more chi chi than fill in the blank.  I learned a lot about many kinds of coffee and how to brew it. My family thought my insistence that fresh coffee was better than a ten year old Mr. Coffee brewing something that came out of a can was insane (until fairly recently my sister still used a -the horror- percolator). We also had twice-boiled Greek coffee when I was growing up.
Animation of cream being poured into drip coffee.
Animation of cream being poured into drip coffee.
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Since then I have had pour through Melitta, Chemex, French Press, and Braun, Cuisinart and other drip coffee makers,  Stove top and mechanical espresso makers. Did you know that "espresso" does not refer to the speed of making a single shot of dark goodness, but to the steam and pressure required to push the water through the packed ground beans?

I was conversing with the gal who comes in to do the house about how many calories there are in an iced mocha coffee. There are a lot. And, when you think of it, the coffee "beverages" have taken a non-caloric item and driven it up to 300 to 350 calories each! 

Nespresso, what else ? ;-) Français : Nespresso
Nespresso Pods (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
The best coffees I ever had were from a device we found at our hotel in Punta Maroma, Mexico.  The little coffee pods were attractively displayed and looked like wrapped bon bons. This was a Nespresso machine and it produces a creamy espresso foamy brew.  Nespressos are similar to a Keurig type coffee machine, but the Nespresso creates a more European cup and doesn't have  different flavors of pods. The types are roasts or blends of coffee and are only available through the Nespresso club. I usually have two to four lungos (2 regular cups) of coffee a day. Actually thinking about this I had to go make one just now! I have mine with a tablespoon or less Silk coffee creamer.

A pair of Nespresso Magimix M100 machines
Nespresso Magimix
M100 machines
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
There are so many ways to have coffee! And, there have been times where I went off coffee and went for a couple hits of green or black tea each day. 

So, how do you do your morning, afternoon or evening brew?  Are you caffeinated? Do you do tea?