Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Like a Drowned Rat

 
Day Four:  Provence           

I am waiting for Don to get back from work so we can move on to the airport hotel in Marseilles. If it is anything like the bathroom at the airport we’re screwed.

It has been raining solidly for three days and each trip out of the building involves me becoming very wet.  However one store I wanted to go to wasn’t open yesterday and so I trekked up to the center of Aix, near the Hotel de Ville to a rare perfume shop where they sell Annick Goutal fragrances. Heavenly and heady stuff.

On the way back I saw a beautiful flower market and a farmers market.  Unlike the markets in Italy these only carry food and small handcrafts. The icicle radishes are so beautiful. It made me anxious to get back to our farm market.  We’ll have to stop for a grocery shopping on the way home though since we left the cupboards bare.

Being away has been a tough time for me. I haven’t been away for a long time.  I am always learning new things about myself and this time it is kind of scary--I am a homebody. Provence hasn’t been sunny and warm. Everything here is very expensive.   And, as we know the internet at our hotel sucks.