Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pavia & Provence :-(

So far I am not  crazy about Provence.  First, my husband had the audacity to fly us here on a propeller plane via Air Corsica. Yes, that's right, Air Corsica. We are at a "junior suite" at the hotel Cezanne in Aix and I will put some pictures up but by NO stretch of anyone's imagination is this small room with a chair, no dresser, no drawer in sight, no tub a suite.  My husband and I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this is not even a "better room." We got in late and walked around through hoars of drunken college students o find food.  Not the amazing Gluten Free pizza of last night but a delish patty of what I found yummy but strongly suspect was NOT beef. LIttle tooo sweet for beef.

But pics of our hotel tomorrow. This is the third highest rated hotel in town which tells me people think it's a reasonable value.

Today we got up quite horribly early, but since neither of us slept well it was more a question of being tired lying down or being tired standing. We took an express train from Milan to the town Don's company has an office.  I hung out a bit until I was hydrated and then walked around this ancient college town.  Don's colleague Massimo told me about some great places and the admin was kind enough to make up some maps and information. I was reading the absolutely worst book I have ever read and decided to take a break.  I saw this great Romanesque church San Michele; it made me wish I hadn't slept through the survey of Romanesque art and architecture class I took in college.

But even better the church was across from an incredible rose garden in a private yard. But it was also beautiful to see it. This is a small portion. More pictures later.  

Julia and Mary thanks for commenting on my travels and traveling!