Saturday, June 2, 2012

BEA Bound: Survival Tips

Books
Books  weigh a lot (Photo credit: henry…)



This is my second year at BEA. While I obviously love books and my business, and enjoy the camaraderie of the event I want to be clear that for me it is a work week; not a vacation, not a chance to score free books and swag.  Although, I do like free books... and swag.






 
Lessons I Learned at BEA 2011I am not so perfect (nearly but not completely) that I will be brilliantly carrying all my lessons from last year and no extra baggage, but here is what I hope to integrate into my BEA portfolio:
  • Travel light to the event.  You don't need a camera AND and IPhone you only need an iphone. All you really need:
    • Your rollerboard.
    • $40-$100 and a credit card, photo id and your insurance card (just in case),I didn't even need that much on a daily basis.
    • Some powder and a lipstick , a travel brush or comb
    • Your phone and camera or camera phone, Use the BEA Mobile planner. It even has GPS to help you find a booth.
    • A notebook & a pen or two,
    • Business cards  
    • An energy bar*
    • Water *
    • Mints

    *Food and Water are expensive in the convention center. Last year finding GF was not possible. I went for a bigger breakfast and dinner than usual. Lunch was skipped or an Lara Bar. I am Gluten Free and I didn't really see anything I could eat more than a salad.This year may be different as there was actually a dietary exclusion space on the registration.

    Now, the Conference on Monday is different. We get food, and will have copious periods of sitting and listening. I will probably bring a bit more with me. 
MORE TOMORROW!






Enhanced by Zemanta