Starting tomorrow I will have the BEA live Streaming video up so, even if I get you nothing else, you can see what I am seeing. Actually, like a ball game the video on here may be more and better than what I am able to see.
We're on our way to NYC, here's the last of my advice for the event plus some pictures.
![]() |
| Jana Oliver 2011 |
![]() |
| Hoping to run into Chris Bohjalian as he Signs his new book Tuesday at Random House's booth. I used to help Chris moderate his online forum. |
![]() |
| Lauren Oliver 2011 |
![]() |
| The end of a busy BEA day 2011 |
![]() |
| Sniffly Kitty and I meet at Random House 2011 Day 1 & I'm already tired |
- RESOLVED: This year I will only take home books I am pretty sure I will want to read. I will quash book lust and swag greed.
- An Ipad is a fun toy, but unless you have 3G don't bother as WIFI is
ludicrously expensive at the Javitts. I didn't use mine on the non-blog conference days. There's not much time to sit and
type on it either. If you bring a lap top you will be so sorry by the end of the day.
- Coat Check is the great equalizer—of weight distribution across
your shoulders. Especially for older bloggers like me paying attention
to your body is important. Go up to the coat check often to jettison
books and swag into the rollerboard.
- You don't need or want all the books and swag. I have a PILE of
books I haven't and probably won't read. I found that if I missed a
book at the show a publisher would send it to me later. The Red Cap who
carted my suitcases around would have appreciated my having pickled up
fewer books.
- Use the BEA Mobile planner. It even has GPS.
- Rest as much as possible, eat and drink enough. Last year I got really dehydrated.
- See something of the city other than the interior of the Javitts.
- Comfy shoes are a must but obvious. Compeed (a blister pad that you can wear several days) is a brilliant addition to your toiletries. Some Advil, aspirin or Tylenol.
- When you get a business card, write something on it or somehow make a
note of who the person is and what your circumstances of meeting were.
- Last year I stayed at my sister's condo down in Battery City (by the
WTC). It was lovely and free but after walking for five hours and
carting a 100 books back each day the last thing I wanted to do was go
anywhere else at night. I made my husband go get take out and I missed
several publisher events. My point is that you should have real
expectations based on your own energy levels, where you are staying.
Friends who stayed in NJ to pay less for hotel had a hard time finding
transport home. This year we are staying Mid-town.
- Focus on connections.
- Take pictures with authors.
- Enjoy yourself but also remember this is business serious for
publishers. Publishers are questioning bloggers' place in the industry.
Know why you blog and your numbers. Maybe even have an elevator speech.
- Recognize that you can't be in every line and everywhere. You will miss one thing to pick up another. I am skipping big celebrity events like the breakfasts. I couldn't even see the panelists.
What a BEA breakfast is like
![]() |
| Lissa See at Random House 2011 |





