Saturday, June 16, 2012

Shellac vs Regular Nail Polish: Have you had one?

Manicures
Manicures (Photo credit: Blondie5000)
Has anyone else had a shellac manicure? What do you think?   I first became interested in a gel manicure, but heard they are really hard to remove. An article I read in the New York Times said that even after extended soaking in acetone the manicurist had to use implements that looked like miniature gardening tools to remove the polish. That put me off.

When I went to get a manicure to cover my unsightly ridged nails before we went to France last month.  Because of what I had read I opted for a hybrid manicure using a product called shellac.

While it did crack a bit but it didn't chip. Even while gardening Hauling baggage and travel are tough on my hands. The manicure held up until we got home. I went back two weeks ago for another. It was holding up but I was tired of it. So, I did spend about an hour this afternoon soaking my fingers in acetone heated in warm water (helps the removal.  It does take time to soak off. 

Another great thing about the shellac mani is that because it consist of specially formulated products applied in a specific process and each coat is cured under UV lights once you are done with the manicure it is done, hard, finished.  So you can touch things, use your hands. 

The colors are a bit limited but there's a decent selection. It costs a bit less than twice as much where I go.

Granted, the removal is a pain but the bigger pain is having to redo your nails because you smudged them.  It is worth the extra expense for the shellac over the regular manicure because of its speedy drying time and its long lasting chip free finish. 





Enhanced by Zemanta