Wednesday, August 15, 2012

No Drama Please

1950 CVTC 22 Homemaking
THIS IS SO NOT ME! (Photo credit: wistechcolleges)
When my mother visits my sisters she has her communities close by and her things all about her.  When she visits here she's got just me and my life to fiddle at.  Now, I lead a quiet and somewhat unsocial life in the country.  This leads to someone bored who likes things her way coming up against someone who likes things my way: me! 

I like peace and quiet she likes drama. She and I have grossly divergent views on just about everything from what happened in the 1960s to whether a house set at 85°F is warm. She is religious to the point of assuming everyone else is, I am not.

Mom has always liked order and I never have been able to maintain her type of order.  The things I do in my yard or house call for thinking like me or being physically strong.  Sometimes they just call for putting things in the slots where my labels say to put them or following simple instructions to use a particular machine like an upholstery cleaner or a washing machine different from hers.  At 83 she is not strong, refuses to wear the glasses required to read anything other than a book, and has no interest in learning to use anything different.  Therefore there is little or nothing for her to do.  Since she won't willingly drive our cars and doesn't know her way around because she has an even worse sense of direction than I do, she can't go anywhere without me.

This means the time I would spend writing here is being spent doing things with Mom so she doesn't feel as if there is really nothing to do but read or watch TV. I also cannot do the garden, workout or do anything I normally would.

Some of this is my reactions to her pushing my buttons or just being her, and the rest is just logistics.

This is a long way to say I've got nothing for you that is new and exciting.  Many thanks for your indulgence.



Enhanced by Zemanta