Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Potatoes and Cauliflower Avec Frommage

English: Orange cauliflower
English: Orange cauliflower (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

"Gratin" of Cauliflower and Potatoes

I guess I could just call this cheesy potatoes and cauliflower. I don't know if it is technically a Gratin.  I don't really care about the label. I just know the man of the house liked it.
Because the veg are precooked they don't take long in the oven. I think a traditional gratin would have butter and cream or milk or a roux. Not going to happen that way here though unless it's a super special dinner.

I like the orange cauliflower because it seems to have its own buttery taste.


1 Quart New Potatoes halved
1 head of Cauliflower preferably orange, trimmed and broken into bite sized florets
salt
Preheat your oven to 375°F
Fill a pan with water and add some salt
Add potatoes, bring to a boil and and lower to a gentle boil.  Cook five minutes.
Add Cauliflower and boil about 2 minutes.  Drain and set aside for a moment.

6 Tablespoons shredded Italian cheeses, divided
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs

spray, oil or butter a 9 by 13 pan

Add the potatoes and cauliflower
Toss three tablespoons of the cheese in, Shake to settle, 
Combine the remaining cheese and bread crumbs and sprinkle on the top. Season as desired.
Cook in the oven until the cheese melts and it starts to brown. You can let it get a bit crispy too.
Serve immediately, if not sooner.




Enhanced by Zemanta