My BFF had never heard of Gbowee and she is current event savvy. So I am leaving this up another day. More people need to know about this woman. She is a role model for women of every age, race, creed, or country.
To end the civil war in Liberia, Leymah Gbowee organized a sex strike. Simply stated the women did not put out until the civil war ended. As simple as it sounds, and without any research on my part, that was exceedingly courageous. Starting with Biblical legend, (Adam's first wife, Lilith was kicked out for not having sex with Adam) and until quite recently in history women's primary purpose was service of all types to her husband with direct penalty for failure. If a woman was not married she was often reduced to all but sexual servitude to the highest ranking male in her family or "took the veil." And that wasn't just Africa or Asia or other non-western culture.
I think the women of Liberia risked more than not getting their own jollies by refusing men theirs. They risked beatings, or marital rape, or even worse—not because they were African, but because in many places and in many lives it is still accepted that women are lesser and should be servile.
Now this very brave woman has won a Nobel Peace Prize, not for some grand diplomatic act or treaty but by affecting the lives of millions by starting at home.
I am not a Christian but recall a hymn we sung when I was taken to church: "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." I used to think that meant I had to be peaceful myself, but now I think it has an entirely different meaning depending on circumstances—one uses what means one has to find peace not just for one's self but for a greater good. I am certain a great many Liberian were less than peaceful during the strike; it took courage to do what these women did. And, guys, if you are reading this, no, it's not like what you are always complaining about in comedy routines.
To end the civil war in Liberia, Leymah Gbowee organized a sex strike. Simply stated the women did not put out until the civil war ended. As simple as it sounds, and without any research on my part, that was exceedingly courageous. Starting with Biblical legend, (Adam's first wife, Lilith was kicked out for not having sex with Adam) and until quite recently in history women's primary purpose was service of all types to her husband with direct penalty for failure. If a woman was not married she was often reduced to all but sexual servitude to the highest ranking male in her family or "took the veil." And that wasn't just Africa or Asia or other non-western culture.
I think the women of Liberia risked more than not getting their own jollies by refusing men theirs. They risked beatings, or marital rape, or even worse—not because they were African, but because in many places and in many lives it is still accepted that women are lesser and should be servile.
Now this very brave woman has won a Nobel Peace Prize, not for some grand diplomatic act or treaty but by affecting the lives of millions by starting at home.
I am not a Christian but recall a hymn we sung when I was taken to church: "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." I used to think that meant I had to be peaceful myself, but now I think it has an entirely different meaning depending on circumstances—one uses what means one has to find peace not just for one's self but for a greater good. I am certain a great many Liberian were less than peaceful during the strike; it took courage to do what these women did. And, guys, if you are reading this, no, it's not like what you are always complaining about in comedy routines.
Trailer for "Pray The Devil Back to Hell"
From the Daily Beast October 7, 2011
From the Colbert Report—I hope someone warned her about the nature of the program.
The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,Video Archive
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,Video Archive
Peace Activist Leymah Gbowee gives a powerful speech at the 5th Annual Living Legends Awards For Service to Humanity at the Emmanuel-Brinklow Seventh-Day Adventist Church in Ashton, Maryland. Taped by Emmanuel-Brinklow Volunteers. Encoded by SAV.
Related articles
- Nobel Peace Prize winner Leymah Gbowee: Liberia is progressing, but still divided (csmonitor.com)
- Nobel Peace Prize Winner: New Media Empowers Women (sandyparis.wordpress.com)
- Nobel Peace Prize Honors for Leymah Gbowee (eyeonbooks.com)