Sunday, December 25, 2011

Icons & Expectations
Me, a humbug?



Gerhard Richter 'Übermalte Fotografien'
Image by pittigliani2005 via Flickr

Today is Christmas.  Merry day to all.  Christmas is only happy for me in that I love to give REAL gifts; things which tell people how I care about them by going to the trouble to know them and choose something that will suit them. I have reconciled myself to the holiday as the embodiment of empathy in the human consciousness. Other than that, well,...




English: Cupcake; a painting by Wayne Thiebaud
English Cupcake, Wayne Thiebaud    Image via Wikipedia

On this most iconic of holidays in America, I offer you Matt Henry's look at popular culture in photography.  His work reminds me of reminds me of Gerhard Richter and Wayne Thiebaud.  I don't have time to get photo rights so the links will takee you there and these pics are who the artist rens me ofSomehow, these non-Christmassy photos point to my feelings about Christmas and expectation: 





Also iconic are these minimalist posters, or book covers by Christian Jackson for children's fairy tales.  They are remarkable in theeir simplicity and how they capture that which makes the story timeless.  http://www.squareinchdesign.com/category/childrens-story-posters/




Finally, tongue in cheek film recommendations on what movies to recommend to your beloved or bedeviled relations: flavorwire.com Holiday Movie Suggestions