What makes a heroine, or a hero for that matter? Sometimes we say that heroes are the ones who run towards the battle instead of from it. But there also needs to be a greater good involved, usually the saving of something, a puppy, a person or people, the world/galaxy/universe. I think it also has to be that things don't just happen to the person and they dig their way out. There has to be some intent of putting others before self. I also like imperfect people acting heroically. You don't have to be a saint to be a heroine.
As I read and reviewed FORGIVEN by Jana Oliver yesterday for today's post on Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust, my thoughts strayed to heroines I like. Stacia Kane's Chess Putnam (Sacrificial Magic, out in June!!!) is in a poll right now and that made me think, also, about which are my favorite heroines.
WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE HEROINES?
I am fickle in that my favorite is probably whoever I am reading at the moment. But right now I would say these are my five six faves in the Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Genres:
- Chess Putnam from Stacia Kane's Downsider series
- Riley Blackthorne from Jana Oliver's Demon Trappers series
- Rachel Morgan from The Hollows series by Kim Harrison
- Jayné Heller from the Black Sun's Daughter series by MLN Hanover
- Mercy Thompson by Pat Briggs' eponymous Mercy Thompson Novels
- Chloe Neill's Meritt, Cadogan House Sentinel from the Chicagoland Vampires
I also like Jaye Wells' Sabina Kane.
| (Photo credit: nette1274) |
And of Laurell K. Hamilton's heroines I prefer Merry Gentry over Anita Blake.