THE BOOK OF MADNESS AND CURES
A Novel
By Regina O'Melveny
Little, Brown and Company/Hachette;
1 edition (April 10, 2012)
1 edition (April 10, 2012)
Hardcover 336 pages, also available in e-book formats and audio
I've been seeing information across come across my screen a few times lately. It's not paranormal so I haven't asked for an ARC.
But, I am intrigued. I love Venice and would love to read about life there during the Renaissance. I also enjoy strong female characters, and Gabriella would have to be strong in order to practice medicine as a woman at that time. If you have read this I would love to hear about your experience.
But, I am intrigued. I love Venice and would love to read about life there during the Renaissance. I also enjoy strong female characters, and Gabriella would have to be strong in order to practice medicine as a woman at that time. If you have read this I would love to hear about your experience.
Gabriella Mondini is a rarity in 16th century Venice: a woman who practices medicine. Her father, a renowned physician, has provided her entrée to this all-male profession, and inspired in her a shared mission to understand the secrets of the human body.
Then her father disappears and Gabriella faces a crisis: she is no longer permitted to treat her patients, women who need her desperately, without her father's patronage. She sets out across Europe to find where-and why-he has gone. Following clues from his occasional enigmatic letters, Gabriella crosses Switzerland, Germany and France, entering strange and forbidding cities. She travels to Scotland, the Netherlands, and finally to Morocco. In each new land she probes the mystery of her father's flight, and open new mysteries of her own. Not just mysteries of ailments and treatments, but ultimate mysteries of mortality, love, and the timeless human spirit.
Filled with medical lore and sensuous, vivid details of Renaissance life, The Book of Madness and Cures is an intoxicating and unforgettable debut. Hachette
From Hachette, an interview with the author.
http://youtu.be/SiCXbJjlSDM
From Amazon:
