Where Have I Been?
This seems to have been around in 2008, but I apparently live under a rock and just got wind of it this morning in Shelf Awareness Pro's article "Book-Sellers and Self-Pubbed Authors Get with the Program." Shelf Awareness seems to have a very pro bricks and mortar editorial position. They discuss Amazon and Nook, and other e-readers but there's definitely a thing for Ye Olde Bookshop. In this article:
Matt Miller, general manager of the Tattered Cover Book Store, Denver, Colo., said having an Espresso Book Machine expanded the store's options for working with self-published writers, adding that "we try to treat every author with the respect they deserve for their efforts and their desire to make their works available to the larger community."
( Shelf Awareness Pro's)
Espresso Machine? Printing Books? Huh? I said to myself. So, I Googled it and eventually located this video from 2008.
Uploaded by On Demand Books Nov. 3, 2008 (http://youtu.be/ZDe_Jy4HnMY)
Then I assumed that it's a dinosaur, fossilized by the pressure exerted by e-readers and tablets. No, it's not a dinosaur. I don't know that it is doing as well as the founders hoped it would be, but it was just installed in March at the Brooklyn Public Library for several reasons, including allowing access to books in any language at the library. Powell's and R.J.Julia Bookstores also have installed an EBM. It also allows writers a way to self-publish on demand (see: OnDemandBooks Web Page).
The EBM brings convenient, cost-effective, and sustainable technology to Brooklyn readers and authors. Its technology draws books from two sources – in-copyright titles made available by major publishers including Simon & Schuster, McGraw-Hill, Hachette, Macmillan, and O’Reilly, and titles that have fallen into the public domain and are made available as scans through the Google Books program. The EBMs have been installed in roughly 80 locations worldwide, including bookstores, libraries, and universities, and content is expected to continue to increase as EBMs are adopted by more venues around the globe. (Press Release Brooklyn Public Library)
This is great. I am married to a Semiconductor guy and since blogging doesn't pay the bills I'm all for new technology. But, I have worked with copiers before and been the officer paper un-jammer. These machines are powered by digital technology from Xerox, a producer of fine office equipment but, how will this machine hold up under the pressures of day to day use? Who will unjam it, shake the toner or refill the ink? We all know how office machines go even when someone is trained in their use. I can't find any information about that.
But I think this is a great addition to the many options to writers, publishers, buyers and sellers.
Have you seen or used a machine? Do you think it's viable?
Additional Video http://youtu.be/tKaRM514GNc