Friday, April 27, 2012

Satellite Distribution and 3-D Film are Hot topics at Cinema Con


By dpade1337 (Flickr (lien vers l'image)) [CC-BY-SA-2.0
(www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)],
via Wikimedia Commons
The major motion picture and cinema convention, CinemaCon was held this week in Las Vegas. I didn't know anything about it and I don't claim expertise, but I saw an alluring headline—Movies Beamed Into Theaters by Satellite: Exhibition Meets Age of Technology for an article by Sharon Waxman and Brent Lang in THE WRAP. While last year the film makers and the theatre chains saw a dispute over premium films on demand, this year the two sides are teaming up to make this new technology more financially viable. And, in the fall of this year cinemas will be able to accept uploads from studios at about half the cost of the current system. It will also allow more cinemas to take on live performances at a higher quality than currently can,  and also stage live, interactive gaming.  New anti-pirating technology was also unveiled. 

I tried to find out more about this particular topic online but there's not much on it. Perhaps it will allow expanded distribution of those smaller films.  Maybe there's a "group-on" type experience possible—if twenty people buy tickets then they'll show FILM X here in Maine for that single show. Now that would be interesting. 

Pirating must be the reason why this type of upload is not available to the home consumer. I have always said that I would be willing to pay more to see a newly released film at home. It's probably not far off.
Martin Scorsese at the 2007 Tribeca Film Festi...
Martin Scorsese at the 2007 Tribeca Film Festival in New York City. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


In other movie news Martin Scorsese has declared that all his future films will be in 3-D. The only movie I have seen in 3-D is AVATAR. I didn't like the 3-D experience.  I know I am watching a two-dimensional film, and accept that mentally and emotionally. Tricking my mind into a three dimensional space sets up a conflict in my head that screams "GIMMICK!" Maybe when it's all the rage on the home screen I will change my mind but, having to wear the silly glasses will remind me that there is something else going on besides my personal conception of the movie-going experience.

Plus, do they ever clean those 3-D glasses?

Do you prefer 3-D films? If industry leaders like Scorsese push it do you think it is the death knell for 2-D films?