![]() |
| Sir Anthony Hopkins as Alfred Hitchcock, photo FoxSearchlight |
Fox Searchlight has announced they've begun principal photography for HITCHCOCK, listed as a drama. The film, with feature Sir Anthony Hopkins as master-filmmaker, Alfred Hitchcock, and Dame Helen Mirren as his wife, Alma.
Sacha Gervasi, who won an Independent Spirit Award for his documentary ANVIL: THE STORY OF ANVIL will direct from a screenplay by John Mclaughlin with revisions by Ryan Murphy, Stephen Rebello and himself. The film is based on the book, ALFRED HITCHCOCK AND THE MAKING OF PSYCHO by Stephen Rebello.
![]() |
| www.openroadmedia.com |
Book Description:
A gripping behind-the-scenes look inside the classic suspense shocker—and the creative genius who revolutionized filmmaking.
First released in June 1960, Psycho altered the landscape of horror films forever. But just as compelling as the movie itself is the story behind it.
Stephen Rebello brings to life the creation of one of Hollywood’s most iconic films, from the story of Wisconsin murderer Ed Gein, the real-life inspiration for the character of Norman Bates, to Hitchcock’s groundbreaking achievements in cinematography, sound, editing, and promotion. Packed with captivating insights from the film’s stars, writers, and crewmembers, Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho is a riveting and definitive history of a signature Hitchcock cinematic masterpiece. www.openroadmedia.com
There's a bevy of Producers, including Montecito, and the film is co-financed by Fox Searchlight which will also handle the film's worldwide release.
Hitchcock is a love story about the influential filmmaker and his wife Alma Reville. It takes place during the filming of Psycho and will also include Scarlett Johanason as Janet Leigh, James D'Arcy as Tony Perkins, Jesica Biel as Vera Miles, Michael Stuhlbarg as Lew Wasserman, Toni Collette
as Hitchcock’s secretary Peggy, Michael Wincott
as Ed Gein, Kurtwood Smith as
Geoffrey Shurlock, Richard Portnow as Barney
Balaban and Danny Huston as Whitfield Cook. I don't know who most of the characters are, but they deserve to be listed.
Both Dame Mirren and Sir Hopkins have won Academy Awards and have received several nominations.
My thoughts:
As influential as the man was I am surprised no one has done this film before. I have never seen PSYCHO, I heard it was too much horror. However, having watch TRUE BLOOD these many years I don't think I can say it would be too much. After all I have seen the shower scene.
I think I have seen everything else he made though. My favorite would be NORTH BY NORTHWEST for no reason other than my love for Carey Grant.
Are you a big Hitchcock fan?
Does a biopic like this interest you?
Does a biopic like this interest you?

