Saturday, April 21, 2012

ONLY THE DIRTY BITS


AMAZON AFFILIATE
LINK CLICK PIC
Lizzie Crocker at Newsweek's online outlet The Daily Beast has written ‘50 Shades of Grey’ Speed Read: 14 Naughtiest Bits  wherein the book  is excerpted 14 times.  The whole fan fiction thing is rehashed a bit. But, if you don't want to pay the steep price of the book check out the article to see if you like it.

I am not fully cognizant over the controversy regarding the fan fiction.  I've read that it was wrong because the writer garnered fans through her fan fiction and then absconded with them to her own kingdom of sex, pain and pleasure.

One thing blogging has taught me is that YOU don't take anyone anywhere.  If they want you they will come, if they don't, well they won't bother.  Seriously if we download so-called mommy porn on our e-readers for its anonymity then why, in our anonymity, would we rush to another website because someone wanted us to.

I have also read that the characters were inspired by Edward and Bella but honestly I can't imagine a less similar character scenario.  I hope it is the case that the fan fiction forum gave the author of FIFTY SHADES the feeling of freedom to let go and write. And, most art is conceived in reference to some other art.

Maybe I have only skimmed the issue. But, it feels like the same kind of angry envy that was directed at Amanda Hocking after her success.  The world of publishing has been altered by the internet; in this strange new world new things are going to happen that won't please everyone. One post I read in Erotic Novel '50 Shades Of Grey,' Fan Fiction And Copyright says that a problem is that 89% of the book was previously available for free as fan fiction and because it's provenance is denied, this has lead people to shell out the $10 for the story.  That strikes me as more of an ethics issue than one of legality.  I wonder what Stephenie Meyers thinks about it? And, I remember people saying her books had been largely derived from others.
Fifty Shades of Grey at SeaTac newsstand
Fifty Shades of Grey at SeaTac newsstand (Photo credit: rachelkramerbussel.com)

Greater minds than mine have, I am sure, cogitated over this.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT?  If you want to forum here about it, tell me and I will respond here rather than via email.