Thursday, May 3, 2012

THANKS BUT NO THANKS:
DO WE HAVE TOO MUCH THANKING ON TWITTER?

Twitterquette: Too Much Gratitude??

Nina Badzin wrote  Stop Thanking Everyone on Twitter about thanking people on Twitter at Huffington Post. In the article she proposes we put out too many Tweets offering too many thanks. She sounds like she's pissed off about being thanked too much; I get that (read below).

While I agree with some of her points, like not thanking masses of people for one person's #FF tweet, I do think people want to be thanked and acknowledged. In a less than civil world on a mostly impersonal internet it seems to me that too many thanks are better than not enough.  However, I don't think we want the insincere or condescending thank you which is not a true show of thanks.  

I get plenty of these insincere thanks in person. For example, as a board member for a non-profit I was often thanked for caring about the non-profit by staff members. I thought this thanks was actually condescending and misplaced if not actually rude. As a board member it was my responsibility to care, and it was something like thanking your boss for doing his or her job.
When I thank someone for following my blog, it is akin to thanking someone for entering my shop.  Since Twitter is one way to follow what's happening my blog it's much the same as saying "Hey! Thanks for coming by."  As in most etiquette questions, it is about making people comfortable and having customs, or norms, that we can all live with most of the time. 

I have proposed a new abbreviation to be sent by someone who abhors being thanked too much: NN2THX or No Need to Thank.  It's like saying, "Look I get way too many tweets and email, I know you're grateful let's end the communication re: gratitude here!"

What do you think?  Too many thanks or not enough on Twitter? What about Nina's article?