Monday, June 18, 2012

Warehouse Clubs: Do You Belong?

Costco
(Photo credit: Stephen Downes)
Since the 1990s my husband and I have belonged to a warehouse club; either Sam's or BJs. We don't have Costco here. We've been debating the convenience of buying cases of TP  and other "warehouse sizes" at good prices against the cost of belonging.

We're too lazy to do the actual calculations for savings but we think the prices compare to similar sizes at Target.Partly, I think we are tired of going to four or five stores regularly because one place carries this item but not that one. The grocery store carries the less than natural cheese and mayo I like as well as the food my cats want. Whole Foods has the best selection of gluten free foods, natural meats, and produce, and I like their organic canned tomatoes more than any other brand I have found stateside.  Target has coconut flavored soda water that is unavailable elsewhere.

BJ's has large sizes of things meaning I have to go after them less frequently. We are fortunate to have a cavernous basement for storage.  Sometimes the savings are considerable.  Don says we save about $5 per 40 pounds of cat litter. Sometimes the prices are the same as elsewhere. 

So, We're thinking of not renewing our membership. We did a stocking up run today and spent $265 on everything from Advil to Paper Towels. Come the Zombie Apocalypse we'll be able to maintain our hygiene a while.

It can be amusing to shop there; especially when weird stuff shows up.

Do you belong to a warehouse club or did you? If you left why did you go? Do you go for amusement, price, selection or another reason.


Don't forget to check out FANGS, WANDS and FAIRY DUST today for this week's True Blood update.





Enhanced by Zemanta